Saturday 14 July 2012

Getting use to Chinese costs and currency

From a London perspective, everything is cheaper here. Well, the necessities at least. (Even though Apple products are actually manufactured here, they come at a premium!)

My 15 minute cab to work, about 5km, is equivalent to £1.60. I can buy lunch for less than a £1 if I wanted to. But typically it averages about £2-£3. And this is a full meal - a big bowl of soup, or a main dish with rice. A train ride into downtown is as little as a £1.20. Sure beats the Oyster card.

I'm still getting use to the currency and what each of the bills mean. They have paper bills for 0.50CNY and 0.10CNY! I didn't impress a cab driver when the fare was 15CNY, and I tried to pay him 10.50CNY! I didn't know that the small 5 CNY bill was equivalent to 0.50CNY! I do notice that I don't really carry a lot of change. I guess that's what happens when your smaller denominations of currency are actually paper bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment