Saturday 21 July 2012

Haircut

I went for my first haircut today. I didn't know what to expect.

I usually take my relationship with my barber seriously and its usually a monogamous relationship. If I pick the right one, I'll stick with him/her. Maybe its partly due to my childhood as my aunt would always cut my hair, throughout my teenage years, college year, all the way up until I left for London.

When I arrived in London, after a couple of barbers that didn't have a clue, I found one that I've always come back to for over 7 years.

Now that I'm here in China, I wanted to find a good one. Fortunately, I knew what barber shop I wanted to go to since I passed it everyday when I had lunch with colleagues.

To be on the safe side, I searched on the internet for photos of how I wanted it cut. Given the language barrier, I've learned the best way to communicate is through images. This particularly holds true when ordering food so I thought I'd try it with a haircut.

After finding images that successfully replicated what I wanted, and I ironically, it was one of Chow Yun-fat, I decided I was ready take my chances. What's the worst that could happen? If it goes horribly wrong, I just shave my head!

I get to the barbershop and I try to speak in English. (I'm always uncomfortable when I do this as I always feel like I'm a complete ignorant American that's too lazy to learn their language.) Of course, no one speaks English, to no surprise, but the nice guy communicates that its 38CNY for the haircut. 38CNY!!! That's so cheap. (More or less equivalent to less than £4!)

I show him the pictures of how I want it cut and they agree.

So the first guy leads me to a room to wash my hair. This guy doesn't speak English either, although he does know one word. Yes.

So to check if the temperature of the water is good enough for me, not too hot or cold, he asks:

"Yes?"

Which I respond with:

"Yes."

Eventually my haircut starts and I must say, the guys is a master with clippers. My barber in London scissor cuts what this guy accomplished with clippers. I must say, it turned out pretty good. What did surprise me, and something I haven't experienced before in any barbershop, is that they washed my hair after the haircut! Can't complain about that! I always hate it when my hairs end up on the back of my neck and back side, under my shirt, and it gets all itchy!

After the shampoo guy and I exchange our "Yes's" a second time, I sit down again and the barber, or shall I say hairdresser, blow dries my hair and puts product and hairspray on it like I'm about to walk down a runway for a fashion show.

In the end I can say I was pretty happy on how it turned out. I was so happy that I was speaking to him in English, asking him if he worked on weekends and even asked for his name. He just kept smiling and nodding. I smiled as well, and even said out loud:

"You have no idea what I'm saying! Do you?" as I laughed out loud.

Eventually he gave me his business card and I left him a reasonable tip that he politely refused, but I made sure he accepted it. He was so happy.

I'll be happy to say I'll be coming for another visit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice!! That's really funny :)

    I have a really good Chinese friend if you want to take pictures of food labels and get a translation on them!! Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete