Sunday 22 July 2012

Tianjin Cab Ride

My second weekend was interesting.

I made my way to Tianjin via the Jibin Light Rail, but unfortunately it doesn't exactly get to my intended destination, Xikai Church.

The week before I took a random bus and walked a fair bit, so this week I was a bit lazy and decided to take a taxi.

Once I got to the end of the line, Shiyijing Road, I exited to the street level and I found a whole rank of taxis waiting for me.

Perfect. A bunch of drivers soliciting their services. Since I can't speak a word of Chinese, I show him a picture of the church sign in Chinese I took last week.

He agrees and gestures a "3" sign to me. Don't know what that means, so I just nod yes. I get into the taxi and another couple sits in the backseat. Strange. I guess that's what he meant by 3.

He pulls away, and the first thing I notice is that he doesn't start the meter. Not a good sign.

Then he proceeds by taking an indirect way to the church. At first I question this, but then realise its a way to avoid traffic. Fair enough.

We turn back into the main road after a couple minutes and I start to pull out some cash since the destination is approaching. The taxi driver sees my ¥20 and starts waving his hand, indicating some negative connotation. Is this ride for free?

Right before we get to Xikai, he drops off the couple on the corner before. The couple pays ¥13. Okay cool. I guess that's about right. And they've paid for me too! No wonder he was waving his hand in such a negative matter! The couple exit the taxi and we proceed about 300 meters down the road, when he stops.

I try to give him my ¥20 and he continues to wave his hand! So I try to leave but he points at my wallet. So I take out another ¥10, thinking it should at least be that much. With ¥30 in hand, he smiles. (So that's what he meant by his hand gesture "3"!) I complain that its too expensive in English. (Of course he has no idea what I'm saying.)

He then proceeds to take the money from my hands!! And then to top it all off, in English, he goes:

"BYE BYE."

I exit the cab, shaking my head, almost laughing to myself. I couldn't believe I was scammed. I paid 3 times more than I should have!

But then its all relative I guess. =) Compared to London prices, that's dirt cheap.

Lesson Learned - In China, don't take taxis that are parked along side a bunch of other taxis, soliciting your service. You are better off hailing one off the road that's passing by. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment