Wednesday 11 July 2012

Using Chopsticks

The first day I arrived at work we went out for a team dinner. We went for dumplings and this was going to be the first time I was going to "showoff" my chopstick skills.

To be honest, I was quite nervous eating with chopsticks and I wanted to show my Chinese colleagues that I can assimilate easily by eating the same way they do. Sure enough, it all started off really well when the dishes that were served proved to be very easy to pick up as they didn't carry much weight. I seemed to have made a good first impression because of this.

But then as the night went on, my chopstick muscles started to fatigue and I started to fail. There were points where I felt everyone was looking at me, watching me struggle. As they couldn't continue to bare watching me failing to pick up my food each time, they eventually handed me a fork. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment